[extropy-chat] The Brights Movement's Forums

Mon Dec 15 07:29:43 UTC 2003

Damien Broderick wrote,
> It seems I'm very much not in a minority with this opinion.
> See Michael Shermer's preliminary empirical study:
> <http://www.skeptic.com/BIG%20BRIGHT%20BROUHAHA4.htm>
>
> It will be interesting to see if the very bright founders are modest
enough to pay heed and change it.

I predict not.  Bright people tend to be stubborn.  We will stick to our
original theories despite overwhelming evidence that they are failures.
Transhumanists are no different in this sense.  I don't know why common
sense doesn't seem to be a component of high intelligence.

Everyone I know immediately says "Barf" when they hear about the "Brights".
I don't know how anybody living in our world could fail to immediately see
the idiocy of this term.  But I am constantly amazed at the monkey-brain
insistence on never letting go once we get our hands on something that
interests us.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
Certified IS Security Pro, Certified IS Auditor, Certified InfoSec Manager,