[extropy-chat] The Brights Movement's Forums

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Mon Dec 15 07:47:52 UTC 2003

From: "Damien Broderick" <thespike at earthlink.net>

> It seems I'm very much not in a minority with this opinion. See Michael
> Shermer's preliminary empirical study:
>
> http://www.skeptic.com/BIG%20BRIGHT%20BROUHAHA4.htm

He, he he ... a portion of my reply to Shermer got printed:  "Why don't we
simply call ourselves "smart-people-unlike-you-dumb-people"?  How to win
friends and influence people."

An acquaintance of mine told me when he first read the proposal of using the
term "Brights" he almost threw up.  And he is a skeptic/nontheist.  I can
only imagine how well such a term will go over with the religious set.  My
reaction was more like:  "WHAT?"

> It will be interesting to see if the very bright founders are modest
enough
> to pay heed and change it.

If it doesn't catch on, the term "the Brights" will simply die a natural
death.  By atrophy.

Olga