[extropy-chat] The end of work, the leisure society, and automation

randy cryofan at mylinuxisp.com
Mon Dec 15 13:47:57 UTC 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:20:45 -0500, you wrote

>               I am interested in the concept of a leisure society and was
>wondering if anyone knew of any major thinkers,researchers,or think tanks
>exploring this concept and the cultural,economic,psychological,and political
>ramifications of this idea.I prepared a short list of items I've read on
>this topic and was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of
>similar thinkers:
>1.)F.M. Esfandiary/F.M.2030--"Upwingers", "Are You A Transhuman?", and
>"Telespheres"
>2.)James Hughes-- "The Politics of Transhumanism"-in a section titled "Pro
>Automation Post Work Utopias" he mentions Andre Gorz -"who has been
>promoting a political program for 25 years that embraces automation and the
>expansion of the social wage." He also mentions that-"the movement for
>universal basic income(Lerner,1994) has been growing in Europe and the
>United States"

A universal basic income growing in the United States? Ah,
no.....quite the opposite, in fact. Outside of the American
Indian/aborigines, who do have min income and in fact a nice little
leisure society, life in the USA is moving in the opposite
direction--we are working more hours and wages are dropping for a huge
segment of society....