[extropy-chat] The end of work, the leisure society, and automation

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Mon Dec 15 14:48:20 UTC 2003

randy wrote:

>>It was all the rage among futurologists in the 70-80's. But it turned
>>out that people didn't want to use their higher income for more leisure
>>time. Rather they wanted more stuff.
>>
>>So they kept working

> Actually, that is what the media propaganda machines tells them they
> want....

Yes and no. Certainly we have a lot of stuff we could be without.

But one problem, at least here in Denmark, is the increased cost of housing.

People make more money, and all want to live in houses. So houses become
*very* expensive.

Generally the price-gap between rental houses and owned houses isn't
that big, and in the long run there is a saving in owning a house. So
the rational thing is to buy a house yourself.

So either you buy an expensive house, and have to work hard to keep it.
But get the bonus of a big money pile when you later sell it.

Or you live in a rental, where the landlord makes the money. You don't
save that much money each month, and you don't make any money when you move.

So actually it is hard to get more leisure time and do the "smart thing"
money wise at the same time.

If we really want a leasure society a majority need to want it, or else
the spiraling housing prices and other effects will keep us at work.

regards Max M Rasmussen Denmark