[extropy-chat] when will computers improve?

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sat Dec 20 02:17:07 UTC 2003

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Kevin Freels wrote:

> If I remember correctly, it
> was available in 3 or 4 versions... Professional, server, advanced server,
> and maybe something else. Which one are you running?

Don't get the server version unless you need something
like an FTP server or you really want to run a network.
At one point you could get NFS clients and servers for W2K
though they were a bit pricey after Msft bought them from
the CAD company that I think developed them (can't remember
the name right now).

You can get a command.com (MSDOS) prompt under Win2K.
I also use a very old set of UNIX utilities (MKS) so
I can get a UNIX shell and lots of other goodies.
I think the standard now for a UNIX toolkit is CYGWIN
which is free.

You can do peer-to-peer drive sharing in Win2K networks
as well as older & newer versions of WinXX I believe.
So it isn't necessary to get the more expensive server
versions (which are also more prone to security problems).

Robert