[extropy-chat] when will computers improve?

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 20 05:00:34 UTC 2003

Robert J. Bradbury wrote:
> You can get a command.com (MSDOS) prompt under Win2K.
> I also use a very old set of UNIX utilities (MKS) so
> I can get a UNIX shell and lots of other goodies.
> I think the standard now for a UNIX toolkit is CYGWIN
> which is free.

   In Win2K, the shell is actually called cmd.exe.  It's a bit more
advanced than command.com; you can have (brain-dead, but better than
nothing) file completion and some other features.

   By the way, for those who bemoan Windows' lack of any useful
programming utilities, system tools, file manipulation tools, shells,
postscript processors, printing utilities, graphing utilities, text
editors, etc., I've put together a pretty solid, mature CD of tools,
called "The APE" (Alan's Programming Environment).  The nice thing about
the CD is that you can run all of these utilities directly off the CD,
installing nothing on the hard drive.  You can carry it around and have
a pretty useful system anywhere you go.  It's pretty well tested (3+
years of use in the real world.)  It's also quite useful for fiddling
with programs in a lot of different languages without the hassle of
finding and configuring compilers, etc.

   The description of the tools available is here:
http://futureboy.homeip.net/ape/

   Images can be downloaded from here:
http://futureboy.homeip.net/apezip/

--
  Alan Eliasen                 | "You cannot reason a person out of a
  eliasen at mindspring.com       |  position he did not reason himself