[extropy-chat] when will computers improve?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Dec 20 13:10:58 UTC 2003

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 10:00:34PM -0700, Alan Eliasen wrote:

>    In Win2K, the shell is actually called cmd.exe.  It's a bit more
> advanced than command.com; you can have (brain-dead, but better than
> nothing) file completion and some other features.

Get cygwin, and your pain will go away.

>    By the way, for those who bemoan Windows' lack of any useful
> programming utilities, system tools, file manipulation tools, shells,
> postscript processors, printing utilities, graphing utilities, text

I bemoan one thing primarily: a greedy proprietary vendor. With a track
record of malice and greed, paired with incompetence.

> editors, etc., I've put together a pretty solid, mature CD of tools,
> called "The APE" (Alan's Programming Environment).  The nice thing about
> the CD is that you can run all of these utilities directly off the CD,
> installing nothing on the hard drive.  You can carry it around and have

I'd rather prefer support offered by the Debian team, than you, no offence.
And I do carry a very useful system around everywhere I go: my iBook.