[extropy-chat] ENOUGH already

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Mon Dec 22 19:33:52 UTC 2003

On 12/22/2003, Charlie Stross wrote:
>I submit that, at this stage, *fiction* is a very effective propaganda
>tool for our corner. Fiction provides a vehicle for actual concrete
>scenarios that will allow the people we want to reach (the vast majority
>who've never heard of the concepts we trade in, either for or against) to
>visualize what we're talking about. And it's very important to establish
>our position in fiction before the Frankenstein archetype gets pinned on
>us. ...
>Damien's working on this right now. Ken MacLeod (who some of you might
>remember from this list in the early nineties) also writes about
>transhumanism, from a somewhat more skeptical but overall positive
>viewpoint. My own through-the-singularity novel is due out in mid-2005
>from Ace. ...

I have mixed feelings about the role of science fiction here.  If we were
sure no one else would look at these topics, we should certainly be glad
that at least science fiction looked at them.  But I constantly run into
academics whose reason for ignoring these issues is because "that's science
fiction."  Now perhaps they would still say that if there were not actual
science fiction novels about these topics.  But it does seem that the fact
that some scenario is popular in science fiction is often taken as a reason
not to consider it in "serious" discussions about the future.

Science fiction authors are well aware of the may biases that are
introduced into their future scenarios due to the need to have an
entertaining story.  Academia has its own biases, but my guess is that they
are not as bad.

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323