[extropy-chat] BIO: Stem Cell Genes

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Mon Dec 22 22:28:34 UTC 2003

Science Daily [1] is pointing out the current issue of the
Public Library of Science has an article [2] involving one
of the "most scattered all over the globe" bio research
projects I've run across (excepting perhaps the HGP) that
a significant fraction of the mouse stem cell transcriptome
has been determined.

Short conclusion -- we now know most of the genes that might
make stem cells behave as stem cells.  Next up -- testing
which subset(s) of those are the master control genes that
do the heavy lifting.  After that figure out if turning
on the master control genes (by methods to be determined --
or perhaps if they are disabled in "adult" cells -- augment
the genome with master genes using gene therapy protocols).

Voila -- retrodifferentiation -- turn adult cells back into
stem cells.  Back of the envelope guess -- 3 to 5 years.

So there may be two possibilities for self-renewal materials:
(a) isolate stem cells from the "caches" within the body;
(b) take any old cell (white blood cells, skin cells, etc.)
    and turn it back into a stem cell.

Once one has a good "self" stem cell grow up lots of them
and store them on ice for when they are needed.

Robert

1. Profiling The Genes That Make Stem Cells
   http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/12/031222065220.htm

2. Transcriptome Analysis of Mouse Stem Cells and Early Embryos
   http://www.plosbiology.org/plosonline/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.0000074
also:
   Gene Expression Profile Created for Mouse Stem Cells and Developing Embryo
   http://www.plosbiology.org/plosonline/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371%2Fjournal.pbio.0000087
   (which is a little less technical).