[extropy-chat] BIO: Stem Cell Genes

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 21:32:17 UTC 2003

--- "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com> wrote:

> Voila -- retrodifferentiation -- turn adult cells
> back into stem cells.  Back of the envelope guess --

> 3 to 5 years.

Too slow.  Try yesterday.

We're in the moment of "low-hanging fruit",
genomically speaking, and the "tree" is groaning under
its burden.  (Would that be "the tree of life"?  ;-} )

>From Eurekalert:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-12/sri-rct122203.php

Regenerative chemical turns muscle cells into stem
cells

A group of researchers from The Scripps Research
Institute has identified a small synthetic molecule
that can induce a cell to undergo
dedifferentiation--to move backwards developmentally
from its current state to form its own precursor cell.

These precursor cells are multipotent...

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                           Ray Charles