[extropy-chat] Tiger Team

stencil etcs.ret at verizon.net
Mon Dec 29 01:46:27 UTC 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:49:40 +1100
Brett Paatsch  asked

> > >Scientists have now set up a "tiger team" to work through all the
> > >possible
> > >reasons for the lander's silence.

> > >It is a bummer. But what's a "Tiger team" ? What do tigers have
> > > to do with it?

Ad hoc workgroups, with limited goals and enhanced authority and budget.
Earliest use of the term I can testify to was Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, ca
3Q 1978.  Probably predates that by a few years, and may well have originated
elsewhere.  Tigers were big, in that era - sold gasoline and breakfast cereal.
Also, they lurked dangerously in the jungle and, just a few years previously,
beat up sumpin' fierce on unwary roundeyes.

gds, hans

stencil sends