[extropy-chat] NY Times article about Aubrey de Grey

Aaron Davidson davidson at cs.ualberta.ca
Sat Nov 1 21:00:34 UTC 2003

> On a similar note, why doesn't ExI also contribute a token amount?
> Alternately, one of you folks could easily contribute on behalf of the
> ExI
> if the management is up for that (and of course, I think they should be
> contributing as well, especially given their views on healthy life
> extension: lead by example).
>
> So how about putting a little of your money where your hopes are? Hope
> gets
> you nothing: action does.

Well put Reason!

As extropians, we all believe a future without death is possible, but
we aren't going to get the future we want by sitting about on our
laurels, and discussing it to death on mailing lists. Being pro-active
is the key to obtaining our goals.

What we need now, more than actual money, are *names*. It only takes
about 5 minutes to make a donation
(http://methuselahmouse.org/donate.htm), and even if it's only for a
few bucks, you get your name on the list of donors
(http://methuselahmouse.org/donors.php). I am truly saddened by the
short list of names we have now. I am sad not to see the names of ExI
members on this list. Even if the amount donated is small, it still
sends a strong message that you support the idea. There is no better
way to dispel the public's skepticism and general disapproval of life
extension, than to lend your own name and credibility to the cause.

Over the years, I've seen a common pattern on this list. A whole lot of
talk, and not a lot of action, save for a small minority. Here is a
chance for everyone to contribute something that will go a long way. I
would love for you all to prove me wrong.

Let's see some names!

--
Aaron Davidson <aaron at spaz.ca>  http://spaz.ca/