[extropy-chat] Brett asked for it

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 3 23:06:55 UTC 2003

Rick wrote:

[There seem to be many different types of atheism, that is
to say different sets of g[r]o[k]ings that lead to godless views.
I've got mine, and mine can beat the pants off yours:) ]

> Brett wrote: That's fascinating Rick. Why don't you just go
> ahead and outline yours then for the Exi list. ? ;-)
>
> http://home.centurytel.net/rickw/aonl.htm
>
> "an enticing tale of the possibilities of transhumanism" it also
> outlines much of what I call scientific atheism.

Ah "the pitch" then the reposition to the product you actually
have ;-). Not what you offered, nor what I asked for.

"An unabashed didactic tale; with a message fit only for those
whose unique (sic) abilities to grasp new ideas allow them to
conceptually soar".

This doesn't parse. If the 'abilities' are unique *you* are stuck
in a world with no audience. If the abilities are not unique you've
erred real early on in saying they are. Perhaps you and I have
different concepts of *unique*. Yours doesn't appeal to me.

This argument is not a beat-the-pants-off-other-arguments case
for atheism.

* I* don't think it even beats this one for instance:

----

God would not need to settle for mere *belief*. God would know.
God would be an a-theist. I do not need to *believe* in myself
I know.

----
Regards,
Brett

PS: Your 26 page paper may still be entertaining. Perhaps I'll
read it later.