[extropy-chat] The world as a Sim ? Irrelevant, and the Matrix

rick aperick at centurytel.net
Thu Nov 6 07:09:40 UTC 2003

In another online novel (this one not by me) a singularity occurs that,
at one point, changes everyone (everybody) from real fleshies into only
sims -- in an instant -- with out their knowledge. This could happen to
you Brett -- at any time. Past, present, or future. It has already
occurred in a novel -- this you cannot deny! :-)  :)  ;-)  :-)

I was not terribly fond of the ending, but it is a much better work than
mine -- more fun parts, better high tech talk etcetera. And twice as
long.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/prime-intellect/mopiidx.html

Second topic: why I hated the first Matrix movie. I was horrified when
they stated that one main reason for the existence and continuance of
the matrix Borg-like prison setup was that the machines needed the
electric energy produced by the bodies -- that they were like human
batteries. The machines were feeding off the energy output from the
bodies. Talk about zero understanding of chemistry and physics! No
further explanation was given. They could have tried to justify this
most inefficient power generation scheme. But they didn't. Millions of
movie goers were taught that human bodies are energy producing machines,
moreover, that human bodies are the most effective power plants that a
super intelligent entity could enlist. I felt like puking. Any fifth
grade Japanese student should know better, even the dumbest ones. It's
just like so opposite from the truth man. Oh the horror! The horror!