[extropy-chat] Historic Solar Flare

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Thu Nov 6 08:58:38 UTC 2003

Dear Samantha,

>  It is not an area of any real personal expertise but what I am
>  reading at least looks as if it will cause a fair amount of rework
>  of some of our solar behavior models.

The corona is the least understood part of the Sun, so I don't think
that any reworking of 'solar behavior models' for the coronal region
is necessary (because it is not understood well now), compared
to the the physics of the solar interior (which is understood very well).

It was only recently (last 5 years, say) that solar physicists began to
understand the coronal heating problem, but I doubt that CMEs
(coronal mass ejections) are completely understood yet.

A quick search on Google, tells me that the theorists are still working hard:

Theor(ies) of Coronal Mass Ejections
http://www.aps.org/BAPSDPP98/abs/S550006.html
http://www.cosis.net/abstracts/EAE03/04769/EAE03-J-04769.pdf
http://www.eps.org/aps/meet/APR00/baps/abs/S820009.html
(and more)

I think that this is cool:
Current Solar Maps
http://www.raben.com/maps/

Amara Graps, PhD
Istituto di Fisica dello Spazio Interplanetario, INAF - ARTOV,
Via del Fosso del Cavaliere, 100, I-00133 Roma, ITALIA
tel: +39-06-4993-4384       |fax:  +39-06-4993-4383
Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it  | http://www.mpi-hd.mpg.de/dustgroup/~graps