[extropy-chat] The world as a Sim ? Irrelevant

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 6 23:44:42 UTC 2003

[Hmm I have to conserve my posts like precious shots or I may
exceed 8 again :-)  ]

Kevin wrote:

> With an experiment where we were[are] in a sim, the results
> of the experiment would be flawed if we kn[o]ew we were in
> the sim.

Interesting notion.

> Therefore, they would make it either impossible to prove, or,
> delete the idea from our memory.

Why, and more importantly how, would/could "they"? (Hint: Cogito ergo
sum). No one gets between one and one's mind without one's
consent.

> So I guess, if we proved we were in a sim, that proof would
> show that we weren;t  in a sim...............?
> Hmmm. It's a weird day here.

The weirdness may linger longer for you (about as long as you think
that this sort of thing can be apprehended as proof-for-you by "we".
If one does one's own *reckoning* then one may get even more
help from one's friends.

Brett