[extropy-chat] A Flight Data Recorder for Your Car

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 02:12:35 UTC 2003

--- BillK <bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Say that again??!!
> That man is a master of the cool understatement!
> How would you drive if you had a cop sitting beside you and your
> insurance rep in the backseat?

THis is nothing new. The fight was lost when people didn't notice that
they no longer owned their cars when vehicle registration and licensing
was instituted. The states pulled a real scam there: conning car
dealers into not mentioning the MSO (Manufacturers Statement of Origin,
the 'real' title to the car) to the buyers.

When the buyer drives away without it, or otherwise ignorantly
surrenders it to a financier (the bank that financed the loan for the
car) who sends it to the state, the state treats the MSO as abandoned
property and thus 'siezes' the car in legal fashion. Your "Certificate
of Title" is only a piece of paper issued by the state that says "Yes,
we have title to this vehicle". The real MSO was shredded shortly after
they scanned it to microfilm, so you can never again get your hands on
it and reposess 'your' car.

Thus, the registration charges you pay are nothing but the rent you pay
to the state for use of THEIR car, which is why registration fees are
generally variable with the value of the car.

You can escape this trap, though. Simply pay cash for a brand new car,
and do not pay a cent until the dealer agrees to give you the MSO. An
increasing number of people are doing this, and are then able to drive
their cars without registration, without a license plate (since it is
used for personal reasons, it is a 'personal conveyance' and NOT a
'motor vehicle', which is a term that only applies to commercial 'for
hire' opertion of a vehicle.) LP Presidential Candidate and
constitutional scholar Michael Badnarik has done this for years,
successfully fought police citations in the courts.

I am not surprised that the state wants a black box in their cars to
keep an eye on your irresponsible behavior, to make sure you behave
like a proper serf.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                                    - Gen. John Stark