[extropy-chat] Eugen's balcony

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Sat Nov 8 17:52:48 UTC 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, R.Coyote wrote:

> A cake of... what?

Well, since it was intended for Eugen's birthday presumably it
must be a birthday cake.  Now when I was young I managed to
get my mother to bake me a Maraschino Cherry birthday cake
every year but Eugen has a different cultural history and
might prefer something else.  Generally speaking I would
consider it to be extropic if one were going to deliver cake
from space onto someones balcony for their birthday that
such cake should be of a variety that the recipients are fond of.

If we are going to retarget for Greg or others then I think
we may have to query them individually -- a self-morphing
cake during reentry is a little bit more complex but not
out of the question (presumably if we used nanotech to get
the cake up there we can use nanotech to transform the cake
as its coming back down).

Now, with respect to Spike's front lawn -- I think the eclair
idea is just fine.  They should be particularly gooey after
the reentry trajectory.  In Spike's case the extropic
preferences bias may be waived.  It does however perhaps raise another
significant debate -- is Spike's front lawn most extropic as-is or
after it has been subjected to a delivery from space of birthday
eclairs?  (And for that matter why do we need to wait for robust
nanotech to deliver eclairs into space...  We could take a lesson
from the Iraqis or Palestinians -- mortars would be perfectly
sufficient to deliver eclairs to spikes front lawn though they
might not be toasted quite as well.)

R.