[extropy-chat] Eugen's balcony

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 18:57:34 UTC 2003

> Robert J. Bradbury:

>...when I was young I managed to
> get my mother to bake me a Maraschino Cherry birthday cake...

Whaddya mean "when"?  You are young now.  In fact you are
getting younger in a sense: the ratio of your age to mine
is approaching 1.

> ... is Spike's front lawn most extropic as-is or
> after it has been subjected to a delivery from space of birthday
> eclairs?  R.

Hey that gives me an idea.  (As Robert's posts often do.)
We should have an extropic lawn contest.  Or rather an
extropic domicile contest, where entrants suggest ways
in which their digs promote extropy.  Having shelves full
of cool books is a good start, but what we want are ideas
and designs that promote extropian style and aesthetics,
which may be considered by some unenlightened sorts as
merely a subset of geek chic.

Golden ratio ellipses in the lawn would count, as would
voice activated light switches and automated control of
appliances and such.  Lets see some of that perpetual
progress and dynamic optimism, expressed in our immediate
personal surroundings.  Websites count as part of the
home in a sense, so Anders and Greg Burch are strong
contestants already.  One's conveyance is also a part
of one's personal environment, so if one has a car that
expresses extropian ideals, that counts too.

Artistic sorts like Natasha and Anders could perhaps
judge the aesthetics, and the hard core techies such
as Robert and Damien could judge the technical merit,
kinda like the figure skaters who get two scores which
are then sold to the highest b... I mean *averaged* to
get the final score.