[extropy-chat] Atheist charities, or lack of

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 17 01:35:46 UTC 2003

... My wife has actually been fortunate enough to have about $10,000
worth of surgeical procedure paid for by a catholic charity that is
involved with St Mary's hospital here, even though she is an atheist.
He then asked me how that compares with any atheist organization. ...

The US Government is a-religious by constitutional order, and so one
could argue that it is a-theist.  Will any religious charity attempt to
compete with the Fed on welfare or charity?  Medical aid?  Foreign aid?

Im not sure how it compares, since the Fed's income is entirely forced
"donations" however.