[extropy-chat] Atheist charities, or lack of

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Mon Nov 17 01:45:06 UTC 2003

I'm an atheist and I give (small amounts since I'm not rich) to various charities, including things like local volunteer fire departments and rescue squads.

However, on the notion of non-religious charities, while I don't know of any specifically _atheist_ ones, I do know of many charities that do not have a religious affiliation -- including the aforementioned -- or a religious philosophy backing them.  Others would include groups like the United Way, Doctors without Borders, and Reading Is Fundamental.

There are also political groups that have an atheist ideology that do charitable work.  Various Left wing groups come to mind...

The key difference, though, is that your friend is comparing apples and oranges.  He's comparing churches to individuals: organized groups of theists to atheists in general.  I bet if we made the comparison of theists in general to atheists in general we might come up with no telling charity-giving differences between the two in general.  (In the US, theists make up about 90 to 95% of the population.  That doesn't mean people who are members of churches, just people who believe there's a God.)

There's also charity on a personal level, such as helping someone in need right in your neighborhood.  This could be a stranger or a friend or a family member.  This kind of "local" charity doesn't get tallied up or reported all that often, but it happens.

Finally, I think Ayn Rand put it right that charity is an ethically marginal issue.  Yes, it did help your wife and that's great.  But charity in and of itself cannot be the central issue in ethics -- not if ethics is about living life on Earth (meaning in this non-supernatural world).  (Yeah, I know not all atheists are Objectivists.:)  From Rand's perspective, people who create and produce give more to the community via unintended positive consequences than all the charitable donations combined.  She means things like the greedy businesswoman who happens to employ hundreds or thousands of people and creates new wealth allowing people to pull themselves up.  After all, wealth has to be created before it can be charitably given.  Without such wealth creation, the issue of charity would not exist.

On your idea of starting an atheist charity, go for it!  I would find it extremely humorous to see avowed atheists getting press on this issue.  (One time I wanted to get some friends to protest a church coming to our neighborhood.  Imagine placards like "Keep Jesus Out of Our Community!":)

My two cents!

Dan
http://uweb.superlink.net/neptune/

    See "Communication Breakdown: The Novels of Stanislaw Lem"
http://uweb.superlink.net/neptune/Lem.html