[extropy-chat] Re: garage nanotech

ABlainey at aol.com ABlainey at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 02:43:33 UTC 2003

In a message dated 18/11/2003 00:29:48 GMT Daylight Time, bradbury at blarg.net
writes:

> It may be useful for Dan to point out to his daughter that if someone
> does
> pull off tool tip replacement and alternative assembly chemistries for
> STMs
> that they are probably on the short list for a Nobel Prize (and probably
>
> would have a very *very* large set of royalty income streams from the
> patents.)

What is the problem with the tool tip replacement? Is it just the problem of
the tip wearing down and having to be constantly replaced and shaped? or is
the problem more complex?
I toyed with the idea of a home-brew STM not that long ago. I built a piezo
scanning head in a few hours and then became distracted by a more interesting
project. I have thought about continuing the STM construction and had a few
ideas about tool and scanning head refinements.
Maybe this thread is just the incentive I need to get the project off the
shelf.

Alex