[extropy-chat] warmer weather = better wine

JDP jacques at dtext.com
Tue Nov 18 12:17:04 UTC 2003

Spike a écrit (17.11.2003/22:17) :

> All those heat stroke deaths in France last summer could
> have *easily* been avoided by something as simple and low
> tech as an *air conditioner*. What is that about?

The old people who died from the heat last summer mostly didn't die
from stroke, but from dehydratation. What they would have needed is to
drink some water from the tap regularly, and yes, Spike, we do have
running water in France, too, so apparently it is not a technical
problem. So why didn't they do that? Because it so happens that when
you get old, your feeling of thirst fades. So you need people around
to watch for you, and remind you about drinking. You need some kind of
organization around to keep you going despite the fading of your
survival reflexes. And all these people were totally alone (in the
middle of Paris or other big cities). So they didn't drink and they
died.

> Plus we get better wine outta the deal, and maybe
> some of those cool giant dragonflies.

:-) (I ate the best grape I had ever eaten this September.)

Fun post, inspired by the feeling of power, power to heal and fix
things. Of course, by saying "this is not a problem, let's go ahead,
we can fix it", you create a large responsability for yourself.

Just an unrelated question, Spike: why do you hit ENTER at the end of
every line (or am I misled?)? You can let the computer do it ya know :-)

Jacques