[extropy-chat] Human Evolution

Acy James Stapp astapp at fizzfactorgames.com
Fri Nov 21 21:35:49 UTC 2003

http://www.n2.net/prey/bigfoot/creatures/article.htm

"Standard chromosomal studies fully supported Ledbetter's
findings that Oliver had the diploid chromesome count expected
for chimpanzees (i.e. 48 or 24 pairs). They also revealed that
his chromosomes possessed banding patterns typical for the
common chimpanzee but different from those of humans and
bonobos, thereby excluding any possibility of Oliver being a
hybrid."

"Moreover, when they sequenced a specific portion (312 bp
region) of the D-loop region of Oliver's mitochondrial DNA
they discovered that its sequence corresponded very closely
indeed with that of the Central African subspecies of common
chimpanzee; the closest correspondence of all was with a
chimp specimen from Gabon in Central-West Africa. This
all strongly suggests that Oliver also originated from this
region and is simply a common chimp - an identity entirely
consistent, therefore, with my own little-publicised opinion
from 1993."

And from http://www.primate.wisc.edu/pin/oliver.html

"Since then, the cytogenetic analysis alluded to in that
report has been completed, along with mtDNA sequencing
and homology comparisons to African chimpanzees of
known geographical origins, and just published in the AJPA
(2). Our results indicate that Oliver is a member of the Pan
troglodytes troglodytes subspecies from Central Africa,
has 48 normal chimpanzee chromosomes, and was likely
trapped in Gabon. Full details behind our conclusions can
be found in our report (2)."