[extropy-chat] Personal effectiveness

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 gpmap at runbox.com
Mon Nov 24 06:35:08 UTC 2003

Hi David,
I agree with Hal that you may want to try splitting a large project into
many smaller sequential ones, each with a well defined output to the next
stage, so you can start and finish one before you move to something entirely
different, and when you restart you find all previous work nicely packaged
and usable.
Another trick is to advertise your project to the world: converting an
internal objective into an external one. At work it is easier to focus
because you have a boss who asks how the project is going and yells if it is
not advancing. Similarly if you tell many people that for example you are
writing a book, they will come back with questions on the book and ask when
you plan to finish it, so that you will feel the pressure and force yourself
to finish it even if you are already thinking of something else.
But there is a better strategy imo: evidently you are one of those who start
things, and not one of those who complete things. These are two very
different personality types, and the world needs both. Why not just accept
this and rely on others to complete the work that you start? In the example
of the book, you write a short novel that someone else can expand into a
book, then move to something else. If it is software, as Hal advices do a
module, then put everything on Sourceforge so that others can work at it.