[extropy-chat] "The Spike" - Raymond Kurzweil

Kilroy kilroy at hush.ai
Thu Oct 30 18:14:13 UTC 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:06:53 -0800 "Robert J. Bradbury" <bradbury at aeiveos.com>
wrote:

>And on the front of human "enhancement".  We can take HGH
>(within some limits) but not various steroids that would
>improve athletic performance (perhaps with some downside
>in longevity, violent tendencies, etc. etc.).

Can't, legally.  Can, practically.
The health risks of a_steroids have been vastly
overstated by the medical establishment.  The
resulting "violent tendencies" are in my experience
not as dramatic as those you get from drinking coffee,
or (for other people) alcohol. The main health risk
from our perspective (to males over age 25) is that,
when you use a-steroids, you have to eat a lot more,
and this may cause more oxidative damage to your organs.
A-steroids are incompatible with caloric restriction,
just as weightlifting itself is.

The real main downside is that you may have a SWAT team
break into your house, throw you and anybody else
in the house to the ground and hold guns to your
head and shout at you for a few hours, take your
cars and your house and the contents of your bank
accounts away, and send you to jail for a long time.

Also, no, you can't take HGH in general, except to
help short kids grow taller, or as replacement
therapy when you're older. I don't recommend it
for most people.  It will give you bigger muscles,
but it makes your organs grow larger, which gives
you a fat gut and possibly heart problems.
Even short-term use of small amounts HGH by an
adult can make you look fat.  Kids don't have
these problems with HGH because a) their bones
can grow longer as well as the rest of them,
and b) their heart can possibly still adapt
its timing to an increased size, tho you'd have
to ask a cardiologist for sure.

>And certainly
>we should not be selling on street corners "do-it-yourself"
>injections for gene therapies to turn yourself into Hulk Hogan.

Once the basic risks are assessed and the remaining
problems addressed, why not?

https://www.hushmail.com/services.php?subloc=messenger&l=434