[extropy-chat] "The Spike" - Raymond Kurzweil

Robert J. Bradbury bradbury at aeiveos.com
Thu Oct 30 19:10:27 UTC 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Kilroy wrote:

> The health risks of a_steroids have been vastly
> overstated by the medical establishment.  The
> resulting "violent tendencies" are in my experience
> not as dramatic as those you get from drinking coffee,
> or (for other people) alcohol.

Well, I may be wrong, but what I have read suggest that
the violent tendencies are real.  Though I would certainly
agree that alcohol can lead to similar problems -- though
the causes are quite different.

> Once the basic risks are assessed and the remaining
> problems addressed, why not?

But much of your note suggested that it will be difficult
to address those problems (at least with respect to HGH).

The most basic risk I see is that problem with people who
are not well informed about potential risks and simply do
not understand that "more" is not always "better".  (Have
you glanced at the WWF lately?  The idea that people will
pay good money to go watch such "entertainment" (sarcasm
intended) boggles my mind.  Hell the WWF makes cow tipping
an olympic class sport.)  Now you give those "entertainers"
and their fans the ability to self-enhance to their hearts
content and things are going to get really messy.

I'd like to hear Natasha comment on exactly where the lines
need to be drawn.  (Can you self-enhance ones violent
tendencies?  Can you self-enhance in self-destructive ways
that will be cleaned up later by taxpayer supported medical
care, etc.?)

Robert