[extropy-chat] rfid again

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 10 20:29:03 UTC 2004

I googled around but was unable to discover if any
companies are offering RFID for home use.  I am
looking for a transponder in the 500 USD range
or less, with ID tags under half a buck.  I would
accept low end performance.

We have an elderly relative who has taken to hiding
items in her home for fear of burglary.  Then she
forgets where she hid the item, or that she hid the
item, leading to the conclusion that someone has
entered and stolen it.  OY!  It might be worth even
more than 500 if we could always zoom right in on
the lost item.

Are these nifty RFID units ready for consumer
prime time?  I would use them on my books, my keys,
my tools, hell I could think of a lot of ways I could
use that technology.  My own memory isn't so great
these days, and it will only get worse.