[extropy-chat] Real Extropians don't drive SUVs

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Tue Aug 17 21:43:36 UTC 2004

[ Natasha and Greg opined on SUVs ]

As posters in the last month's thread on driver safety showed, published
analysis or discussion of the relative risks and benefits of a vehicle
choice can rarely withstand rigorous review.

I recently bought a Toyota 4Runner, a medium-sized SUV. I have been fond of
the vehicle category since the 1970's, long before the current boom.

I often transport objects that would not fit in a station wagon.

I often drive on surfaces where 4WD is useful (or, at least, more
pleasant). In just the past few days, I've encountered grooved roads, steep
hills, dirt roads, major potholes, mud, and heavy rain. And this is August.

In February, here in New England, driving a different class of vehicle in
other years has meant leaving my vehicle a mile from home because the road
was impassible, sliding uncontrollably down an icy hill into traffic,
skidding into a snowbank, or simply having to go the long way around
because I knew my car wouldn't make it up a hill.

More generally for extropians, a suitably chosen and outfitted SUV, *with*
the experience to use it effectively, can be a life-saver in a variety of
natural or man-made circumstances, either in getting away from a hazard or
to a medical facility.

By the way, if you are concerned about fuel economy, SUV hybrids are now
becoming available, such as the 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid.

-- David Lubkin.