[extropy-chat] SUV versus sedan versus motorcycle

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri Aug 20 07:49:17 UTC 2004

On Aug 20, 2004, at 12:18 AM, Brett Paatsch wrote:
> I think not looking
> at the statistical data (if there is data available) is another
> species of
> stupid.  It seems like you are missing that point.

I'm not missing that at all.  What is apparent is that the statistics
you are referring to have little to no relevance to what makes good
policy.  You are reading all manner of causation from a correlation,
and in a fashion that patently ignores known causal factors that *are*
relevant to the discussion.

Those statistics are fine, but shrewd analysis suggests they are almost
context free and bring little to the policy table beyond providing a
prop for use and abuse by and on a statistically innumerate population.
  They tell us very little about the nature of the problem, and don't
even necessarily suggest that a serious problem exists.  When people
haven't even figured this much out, it pretty much guarantees bad
policy will result.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem, I'm saying that it is patently
obvious that hardly anyone understands the nature of the matter enough
to be able to know if a problem even exists, which doesn't justify
trying to skate by on shallow reasoning.

j. andrew rogers