[extropy-chat] SUV versus sedan versus motorcycle

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 20 08:03:33 UTC 2004

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2004, at 12:18 AM, Brett Paatsch wrote:
> > I think not looking
> > at the statistical data (if there is data available) is another
> > species of
> > stupid.  It seems like you are missing that point.

> I'm not missing that at all.  What is apparent is that the statistics
> you are referring to have little to no relevance to what makes good
> policy.  You are reading all manner of causation from a correlation,
> and in a fashion that patently ignores known causal factors that *are*
> relevant to the discussion.

Ah, I see what's happened. I wasn't referring to any particular statistics -
I think it was Bill who provided some and so perhaps you thought I
was saying that those should be authoritative. I wasn't. I was saying
only IF (and I did put IF in capitals) good stats were available they
should be looked at (by looked at I mean critically looked at).

> Those statistics are fine, but shrewd analysis suggests they are almost
> context free and bring little to the policy table beyond providing a
> prop for use and abuse by and on a statistically innumerate population.

We are apparently in agreement then but are focussing on different
aspects of the same thing. Stupidity.  I want to take the anti-stupidity
campaign into the policy setting and law-making machinery generally
so I am averse to having government and law-making looked at as
though they can't be affected.

You, not unreasonably, were pursing a line more closely matching
just what is in the topic header.

My bad, actually.  I should have forked the thread.

Brett Paatsch