[extropy-chat] Tax Burden Gap

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal at smigrodzki.org
Fri Aug 20 22:04:49 UTC 2004

J. Andrew Rogers wrote:

> It wasn't I who was suggesting that having a few people control the
> wealth is a good thing, but anyone supporting steep progressive taxation
> is tacitly supporting such a thing.  We don't get to pick and choose the
> consequences of such things.  You will *always* have a Pareto
> distribution of some type, and the lower the alpha, the greater the
> wealth and benefit to the average person.  Steep progressive tax
> functions greatly increase the alpha, thereby increasing the class gap
> and further unbalancing the distribution.

### This is a very interesting issue, and you have induced me to rethink
some of my beliefs. I absolutely agree that a low-alpha environment
appears much more attractive than a high-alpha one, which should be
intuitively obvious for anybody who appreciates the power of the free
markets, and the importance of having large numbers of independent
agents for rational decision-making.

There is also no doubt that an income tax is one of the stupidest ways
of financing public goods. Currently, the  most inept decision-makers
(i.e. non-profitable businesses and individuals) are rewarded by not
having to pay taxes, while the successful ones are forced to pay fines
for their success (euphemistically referred to as income or corporate
taxes).

However, I wonder what do you think about the idea of progressively
taxing the size of economic entities, rather than their income. Perhaps
naively, I expect that a tax applied to any transaction (no matter
whether an economic gain or loss is claimed) in proportion to the net
value (market capitalization, real estate market value, total equity
holdings) of the involved entities (no matter whether persons,
corporations, non-profits), would serve to lower alpha, by punishing
size but without  punishing success.

I think that under some favorable cicumstances the state could be
profitably dispensed with altogether, but for the time being, given
insufficient economic savvy of the citizenry, it still has a role to
play, and the least harmful way of paying for it might be the universal
progressive transaction tax.

Rafal