[extropy-chat] Video of Fighting Humanoid Robots!

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 24 13:25:47 UTC 2004

--- Alfio Puglisi <puglisi at arcetri.astro.it> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> >No reason they can't run on a turbine engine or fuel cell
> powerplant.
> >AFAICR, the MI-A1 Abrams has a range of 100 miles on one tank of
> fuel
> >with its turbine engine. Fuel cells were generating 100kw/ft^3 a
> decade
> >ago. Have no idea what the energy density is today. 100kw is 75 hp.
>
> The other way around. 100kw is 134hp, so the goal of 1000 hp is
> reachable with only 7.5 ft^3.
>
> Now where are the protonic missiles and the antimatter rays? Any
> giant mech without those isn't worth it.

A herf gun? You'd like that? We can do that. How about a metal plasma
pulse rifle? We can do that too. The issue is that you're dumping a LOT
of power into these things with little in return on damage. Chemical
explosives still pack a higher energy density, and flying lead and
steel and spent uranium carry energy a longer distance with less fuss
and muss in a sea level atmosphere.

Ever heard of the KISS principle?

=====
Mike Lorrey