[extropy-chat] The Simulation Argument

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Fri Dec 3 18:08:04 UTC 2004

"Patrick Wilken" <Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE>

> But there has been a finite amount of time since the Big Bang. The
> universe might be bigger than we can see, but not infinitely so.

No, the time constraint only limits the observable universe. The Big Bang
happened 13.8 billion years ago so the observable universe (for us) is a
sphere centered on the Earth with a radius of 13.8 billion light years, we
can look at 2 galaxies 13.8 billion light years away and 180 degrees apart
but neither can see the other because they are not in their observable
universe.

If the most popular version of the theory is correct (the inflation theory)
the Big Bang was just a time when for a very short instant space expanded
at an exponential rate. Perhaps space was finite when all this happened,
perhaps not.

  John K Clark      jonkc at att.net