[extropy-chat] The Simulation Argument

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 18:38:40 UTC 2004

--- John K Clark <jonkc at att.net> wrote:

> "Patrick Wilken" <Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE>
>
> > But there has been a finite amount of time since the Big Bang. The
> > universe might be bigger than we can see, but not infinitely so.
>
> No, the time constraint only limits the observable universe. The Big
> Bang happened 13.8 billion years ago so the observable universe
> (for us) is a sphere centered on the Earth with a radius of 13.8
> billion light years, we can look at 2 galaxies 13.8 billion light
> years away and 180 degrees apart but neither can see the other
> because they are not in their observable universe.

It's more than that. We can see 13.8 billion ly in each direction.
Those galaxies, proto-galaxies, etc are now 13.7999 billion ly further
away (since the light we see now was created 13.8 billion years ago),
so the diameter of the universe is now ~54 billion ly not counting
stuff that was zooming out before it could generate quantities of point
light sources. Counting that stuff, its about 60 billion ly across.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)