[extropy-chat] Re: John Wright Finds God

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Thu Dec 9 19:28:47 UTC 2004

john-c-wright at sff.net wrote:

> My question to my respected fellow atheists (if I may so call you, for I have
>only departed your company recently) is this: what does an honest and rational
>man do when he has a supernatural experience?

Acknowledge it, but don't jump to conclusions.

> I ask this in all seriousness. What does one do when overwhelming evidence
>suddenly breaks in on you that your entire system of the world, so carefully
>constructed by materialist rational philosophy over many years of painstaking
>thought, is utterly wrong and discredited? Pretend it did not happen?

Not at all. Clearly a materialist philosophy works, for the most part.
Now you've experienced something extra.
Happened to me first time I took LSD in my 30s.
I was utterly amazed by the expansion of consciousness and perception.
I was experiencing something that previously I did not have the capacity
to imagine.

As for 'supernatural' eg psi phenomena etc, I would not call that
something that could discredit a materialist philosophy. All it means if
psi exists is that we have a bigger picture to integrate.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org