[extropy-chat] Re: John Wright Finds God

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Dec 9 21:30:10 UTC 2004

Damien Broderick wrote:

> `Utterly at odds with each other' is a very general criterion of the
> unintelligibility or incredibility of at least one of the competing
> explanations, however thrilling the experience was, and is hardly
> limited to canons of scientific falsifiability. If L. Ron Hubbard's
> world view is right, the Pope's is not. I suppose it's even barely
> conceivable that neither of them might be correct.
>
> Damien Broderick

We can be quite sure that each one's world view is incorrect in the
bigger picture.

But we observe that what works survives, that knowledge tends to ratchet
forward,  and that communication and cooperation tend to more of the
same.  All of these arrows point to an ever-expanding sphere of
world-view in common, along with the -- paradoxically to some --
increasing diversity required for growth.

- Jef