[extropy-chat] Re: John Wright Finds God

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 9 19:36:00 UTC 2004

At 11:16 AM 12/9/2004 -0800, Mike Lorrey wrote:

> > Many of these
> > kinds of experiences seem to have been overwhelming, apodictically
> > persuasive, even life-changing, and utterly at odds with each other

>The list of things that science has not been able to sufficiently
>explain is very long. The human mind is at the top of that list. That
>does not mean that the human mind does not exist. Ergo, the atheist
>argument of scientific falsifiability falls on its face.

`Utterly at odds with each other' is a very general criterion of the
unintelligibility or incredibility of at least one of the competing
explanations, however thrilling the experience was, and is hardly limited
to canons of scientific falsifiability. If L. Ron Hubbard's world view is
right, the Pope's is not. I suppose it's even barely conceivable that
neither of them might be correct.

Damien Broderick