[extropy-chat] RE: freezing frogs & brain freeze helmet &Rip VanWinkle Pets

Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 14 04:09:42 UTC 2004

The way around that is to add something like a sleeping bag and simulate
what happens when someone falls into near freezing water and thrashes
around causing hypothermia before drowing.    I had a prospectus  a year
back from a company that had developed a "self cooling" pop can which
had an insert which once the can was opened would spontaneously remove
heat from the contents. They had spent 7 million to date and wanted to
raise money for marketing.

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3af5f7df31f0.htm

[ Last <http://www.FreeRepublic.com/forum/a3af5f7df31f0.htm#last> |
Latest Posts <http://www.FreeRepublic.com/perl/latest> | Latest Articles
<http://www.FreeRepublic.com/perl/latest?ao=1> | Self Search
<http://www.FreeRepublic.com/perl/latest?ss=1> | Add Bookmark
<http://www.FreeRepublic.com/perl/add_bookmark?a=3af5f7df31f0> | Post
<http://www.FreeRepublic.com/perl/post> | Abuse
<http://www.FreeRepublic.com/perl/abuse?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.FreeRepublic.com%2Fforum%2Fa3af5f7df31f0.htm>
| Help! </help.htm> ]

Disclaimer: Opinions posted on Free Republic are those of the individual
posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or
its management. All materials posted herein are protected by copyright
law and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.

Florida Firm Creates Self-Cooling Soda Can ~ No Cooler Needed
<http://www.FreeRepublic.com/forum/a3af5f7df31f0.htm>

    Business/Economy </perl/latest?t=2> News
    Source: Miami.com
    <http://www.FreeRepublic.com/perl/redirect?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.miami.com%2Fherald%2Fdigdocs%2F090072.htm>
    Published: 05/05/2001 Author: Miami.com Staff
    Posted on 05/06/2001 18:18:23 PDT by GeekDejure
    <http://www.FreeRepublic.com/perl/profile?op=show&user=GeekDejure>

BRADENTON, Fla. -- (AP) -- How about a cold beer on demand without
lugging an ice chest or waiting in line? Simply twist the can and it
chills.

A Florida company developed the technology and teamed with a leading
global can maker to produce a can that can drop the temperature of its
contents at least 30 degrees Fahrenheit in three minutes.

The ``I.C. Can'' resembles an aluminum can and works on vacuum heat pump
technology, much like a refrigerator. The desiccant in the vacuum draws
heat from the beverage through an evaporator into an insulated heat
container attached at the bottom of the can.

There is a water and gel mix in the small cylinder. The two bind and
cool by sucking out the heat, like evaporation.

``We're not creating cold, we're just removing heat,'' said Barney
Guarino, president and CEO of Tempra Technology, a small private company
which has worked on thermal technology since 1991.

Tempra, located in Bradenton south of Tampa, partnered with packaging
giant Crown Cork & Seal Co., Inc. of Philadelphia to develop and mass
produce the can.

``It is quite exciting and interesting. I think everyone agrees there is
marketing opportunity for on-the-go consumers -- hiking, boating,
fishing,'' said Dan Abramowicz, a Crown executive vice president.

``If market trials go well and there is strong interest by customers, it
probably would take us 18 months to have a fully commercial line capable
of producing millions of containers,'' Abramowicz said. Guarino says the
company is negotiating with a European beer maker and some soft drink
companies.

He estimates a 16-ounce can with 11 fluid ounces would sell for about
$1.50. The self-contained can contains no gases or chemicals and is
nontoxic and recyclable. A quick twist of the can breaks the seal,
triggering the chilling process. The unit will continue to pump out heat
until there is no more heat to remove. Then it will just remain idle. On
a hot day, the liquid is expected to stay cold about 25 minutes. It
won't go below freezing.

``Crown is one of the best and most highly regarded packaging companies
in the industry and its involvement will certainly get a hearing from
the beverage companies,'' said John Sicher, publisher of Beverage
Digest, a trade publication based in Bedford, N.Y. But Sicher envisions
only ``modest potential'' for the product, saying it will sell at a
premium price and probably have limited appeal because of the
accessibility of cold beverages from vending machines and convenience
stores.

However, Tom Bachmann, publisher of Chicago-based Beverage Industry,
said the product will at first be popular with boaters and campers.
``But as the cans gains acceptance there could be a real benefit to
Third World countries and countries where there is a lack of
refrigeration,'' he said.

In the United States, Bachmann predicts ``self-chill'' beer and soda
cans on the market by next summer with the technology then extending to
juices, sport and energy drinks and water. But the Coca-Cola Co. is
somewhat cool to the concept. Robert Baskin, company spokesman in
Atlanta, said the soft drink giant has been looking at the technology
for years.

Coca-Cola sells 17 billion cases of its products a year, Baskin said.
The company has 16 million retail outlets globally and more than 2
million vending machines in the U.S. and Japan that dispense chilled
Coca-Cola drinks. ``The issue becomes 'Can a package be commercialized
at an affordable price?'' Baskin said. ``It isn't commercialized yet.''

In late April, Tempra made its first public demonstration of ``I.C.
Can'' in Denver at Cannex 2001, the packaging industry's forum for can
manufacturers and suppliers. Guarino said it took a third-place award
for creative or innovative technology. He was optimistic that its
popularity will grow.

``With ``I.C. Can'' it will be a home run or it's not going to go at
all,'' Guarino said. ``Thermal technology has unlimited applications.
It's limited only by the imagination.''