[extropy-chat] RE: freezing frogs & brain freeze helmet & Rip VanWinkle Pets

Hara Ra harara at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 14 03:39:53 UTC 2004

I have the original article, appeared in OMNI magazine. Without circulatory
access, there is no way to cool the brain rapidly enough. Conduction
through the skull is not nearly fast enough. A major limitation is that if
you use a really cold gas, you freeze the outer flesh. I'd have to look it
up, but I believe there were fluids introduced through the carotids and
jugulars. Cannulation of these is incredibly difficult, so such a device
needs a skilled operator. If it were available and worked, we would surely
use it!

At 10:30 AM 12/13/2004, you wrote:
>"By the way I saw a story on a sat feed about 20 years ago of a CO2 cooled
>helmet to rapidly cool the brain
>to beat  the 4 minute factor from body temp to 32."
>
>Couldn;t this be a handy household device to have around for people who
>live in rural areas? It can take qute some time for an ambulance to
>respond to a heart attack or similar problem in such a situation.

=   Hara Ra (aka Gregory Yob)    =
=     harara at sbcglobal.net       =
=   Alcor North Cryomanagement   =
=   Alcor Advisor to Board       =