[extropy-chat] John Wright finds God

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal at smigrodzki.org
Tue Dec 14 05:22:08 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Samantha Atkins" <sjatkins at gmail.com>
To: "ExI chat list" <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] John Wright finds God

> Well, the "claim" is about what these rather extraordinary yet
> widespread experiences mean.  What it means largely falls into two
> camps.  One camp says that the experience means that reality is not
> like we normally assume it to be and we ourselves are quite different
> than what we normally believe to be the case.   The other camp says
> that these experiences say little about what really is true beyond the
> obvious fact that human beings can have such experiences.
>
> Which is the more extraordinary interpretration?  It looks to me like
> it is the first.

### Indeed, Samantha, I agree with you that the latter interpretation is
less extraordinary: It requires fewer assumptions to be made about available
sensory evidence.

For me, the observation of human brains obviously malfunctioning, and the
following behaviors, is an almost daily experience - in the clinic I see
patients with e.g. visual hallucinations due to dopaminergic medication, or
with olfactory hallucinations due to partial seizures, or with delusions in
Lewy body dementia. It is a simple matter of fact to say that human brains
malfunction frequently, and in many cases without the patients themselves
being aware of the malfunction.

I make only the probabilistic assumptions necessary to provide an
explanatory and predictive framework for my daily sensory and noumenal
experience. This forces me to believe in the existence of e.g. electrons,
niobium, Corvettes, toilet paper, flagella, and all the myriad of physical
objects and their relationships that constitute my (and other humans')
direct and inferred experience - this, and nothing more. Observation of
phosphenes, THC-evoked illusions, or Purkinje lights within my own visual
system convinces me that my noumenal existence is an aspect of the physical
object I may see in the mirror, and no further assumptions about the world
are then needed to interpret other noumena as aspects of a physical reality.

Therefore, given the regularities in malfunctioning of human brains in
general, if confronted with an experience of seeing double, I would first
try to trouble-shoot my cranial nerves, and upon seeing rows of little
marching men in the corners of the room I would consider the Charles Bonnet
syndrome rather than sprites. This syndrome is defined by presence of visual
hallucinations without impairment of reality testing, with the patient fully
aware of the absence of external referents to his experiences - which
appears to be possible as long as the hallucinations do not assume a form
with high emotional impact and the remaining parts of the nervous system
perform their reality-testing routines without malfunction. Of course, if I
had William James' "will to believe", if I was an atheist eager, rather than
loath to embrace a spirit, this detached attitude would be more difficult to
maintain - but then I would be a different person altogether, rather than
being just me skeptically waving away ghosts flitting around in the corners.

So, I interpret reports of certain experiences as most likely devoid of the
significance that others may attach to them, and not even having such
experiences myself would be enough to change this attitude. Short of a
physical rewrite of my prefrontal cortex, only specific prophecies (be it
regarding the Millenium, or the stock market) coming true could convince me
otherwise.

Rafal

PS. Ghostlike figures crowding in dark corners are really quite common in
older people, so to quote Damien, "It may happen to you".