[extropy-chat] Copycat Copycat

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 23 05:00:06 UTC 2004

At 08:44 PM 12/22/2004 -0800, Olga wrote:

>Call me moralistic, but I find this revolting (even while acknowledging
>potential residual gains in perfecting the science of cloning - though
>housepets):
>
>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/12/22/state1724EST0109.DTL

I'm taken aback, Olga. Look at the sort of thing that's being said in that
story in defense of `moralism':

< "It's morally problematic and a little reprehensible," said David Magnus,
co-director of the Center for Biomedical Ethics at Stanford. "For $50,000,
she could have provided homes for a lot of strays."

Animals rights activists complain that new feline production systems aren't
needed because thousands of stray cats are euthanized each year for want of
homes. >

To which I say: Fuck the hell off, Mr. Magnus, and mind your own dagnabbed
business. The woman can do *whatever she wants* with her own money, however
odd it seems to others. If `Animals rights activists' are so upset, let
them turn their own homes into giant catariums. Hey, let them sell their
houses and invest the dough in cat refuges, while sleeping in cardboard
boxes. That would also be an odd choice, but it'd be *their* choice, not
someone else's.

Damien Broderick