[extropy-chat] Copycat Copycat

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Thu Dec 23 05:11:53 UTC 2004

From: "Damien Broderick" <thespike at satx.rr.com>

> At 08:44 PM 12/22/2004 -0800, Olga wrote:
>
> >Call me moralistic, but I find this revolting (even while acknowledging
> >potential residual gains in perfecting the science of cloning - though
> >housepets):
> >

>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/12/22/state1
724EST0109.DTL

> I'm taken aback, Olga. Look at the sort of thing that's being said in that
> story in defense of `moralism':
>
> < "It's morally problematic and a little reprehensible," said David
Magnus,
> co-director of the Center for Biomedical Ethics at Stanford. "For $50,000,
> she could have provided homes for a lot of strays."

I am an unapologetic speciesist.   $50,000 donated to science or something
progressive would have been OK with me.  $50,000 to replace Snookums ("dead
is dead") with another cat that looks-just-like Snookums is obscene IMO.

I agree people can do whatever they want with their money - and they do!
(you know, peeing-vodka-ice-sculptures - what's not to love?).

I am not an animal rights activist - didn't mean to give you that
impression.

Olga