[extropy-chat] Copycat Copycat

Fri Dec 24 12:47:57 UTC 2004

On Dec 23, 2004, at 9:45 PM, Joseph Bloch wrote:

> I suppose it all depends on how you look at it. Are we interested in
> getting positive publicity and funding through false general
> impressions? That gets more up-front funding. Or are we interested in
> educating people about the true impact of emergent technologies such
> as cloning? That gets more long-term acceptance.
>
> Honestly, there are arguments on both sides.

Funny you should use the word "honestly".  "Honestly" there are
arguments on one side only.  "Dishonstly" there are arguments for
positive publicity and funding through false general impressions.

I have never believed that the ends justified the means.  This is not a
sustainable strategy.  It will eventually be discovered, and will
ultimately do more harm than good.  I wish all transhumanists believed
as I do.

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP, ISSAP, ISSMP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC