[extropy-chat] silent night

Eliezer Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Mon Dec 27 02:21:46 UTC 2004

Adrian Tymes wrote:
> --- Harvey Newstrom <mail at HarveyNewstrom.com> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 26, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Adrian Tymes wrote:
>>
>>> Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Yes it is.  See the "Law of Conservation of Probability" in the _Intuitive
Explanation of Bayesian Reasoning_.  If A is evidence for B, not-A is
necessarily evidence for not-B.

>> I know it's hard to provide evidence of a lack.  But how long do we
>> wait before beginning to wonder?  After 15 years and still not having
>> a successful review, I am beginning to wonder.
>
> I agree that there is room for uncertainty.  But if it's been 15 years
> and there really is no substance to this, then why hasn't anyone
> published a disproof? There appears to be neither proof nor disproof -
> and both of those pieces of evidence should be taken into account when
> trying to find the cause.

If a supposed effect is tested using an experiment of high statistical
power (that is, high probability of discovering an effect of the given
magnitude supposing one exists), then the failure of that experiment to
produce statistically significant results is evidence against the effect.
This also follows simply from the Bayesian truism that if scientific
confirmation is evidence for a proposition, then lack of scientific
confirmation *where a good opportunity exists to confirm* is evidence
against that proposition.