[extropy-chat] SPAM: Successful filter avoidance

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 6 05:56:52 UTC 2004

> Mike Lorrey
> Subject: [extropy-chat] SPAM: Successful filter avoidance
>

> I received the following email in my mail box... this poor
> penmanship will add any credibility to the scam:
>
> "_Dear_ Citicards Card_holders,
>
> _This leter was sent_ by t_he Citicards sevrers to
> veerify _your_ E_Mail addres...

I get so many spams that have at least half the
words intentionally misspelled, presumably to
get past the spam filters which look for key
words.  Looks like we could now bust that technique
by filtering any email message with over a quarter
of the words not found in the dictionary.  It would
ignore the 2 and 3 letter words in the count.
Wouldn't that work?  Has anyone tried that
scheme?  Granted some of the legitimate emails
from my antique motorcycle group would be
filtered, for among that set are a number of
individuals who fell a few points shy of
800 on the old verbal SATs.  {8^D