[extropy-chat] Segways banned in Disney World

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Feb 9 10:18:55 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:53:33PM -0500, Brian Alexander Lee wrote:

> Luckily there is a simple solution to the "running out of power" problem.
> Monitor your energy via that handy battery life dial on the segway.

You don't get it. Empirically, people don't do that. People don't wear
helmets, and they behave like jerks when sharing the same space as
pedestrians. That thing didn't get banned for nothing.

I don't think Segways would have these problems where there are lots of
dedicated bike lanes (and where pedestrians are trained to share a part of
the sidewalk with cyclists -- which do wear helmets here).

I fail to see a need for an expensive vehicle where walking or cycling do
nicely. I can get a very good used bike for $250, and that one doesn't need
recharging, and goes faster. Plus, it helps you to get rid of those pesky calories.

> This is a minor problem that hasn't stopped the 5,000 purchasers of segways.

Gosh, so they will start designing cities around it any time now, I guess.

> You may as well avoid cars since running out of fuel at 85mph can cause
> harm.

Completely different failure mode.