[extropy-chat] Animals

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Feb 9 12:13:43 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 09:28:41PM -0500, David Lubkin wrote:

> Thinking about animals adapting in the wake of humans got me wondering
> about animals in the wake of transhumans.
>
> As you envision the world of tomorrow -- nanotech, genemod, space-faring,
> uploading, AI/IA -- what do you want or anticipate for animalia?
>
> Some options:
>
> (a)  Migrate people and industry off-world, and turn the planet into a
> nature preserve

While there is lots of material in shallow gravity wells, eventually it will
run out. Disassembly is just somewhat delayed.

> (b)  Restore recently- or long-extinct species

Some people will probably do that.

> (c)  Create new or variant species for art, entertainment, utility

We've been doing that for a while.

> (d)  Take species with us to space

Difficult, if you're solid state. Habitats have lousy ROI vs. solid state
emulation.

> (e)  Modify species to suit non-terrestrial planetary environments

Sure, see (h)

> (f)  Increase species sentience (a la Clifford Simak or Cordwainer Smith)

Allow ascension, rather, provide optimal virtual environment for the rest.

> (g) Increase sentience of living animals

Not unless they want it.

> (h)  Upload, to transhumanely clear the way for disassembling the planet

This is a desirable outcome, given the alternatives. Definitely a cause
for transhuman environmentalists.

> (i)  Move to an L-5 style habitat

???

> (j)  Disassemble the planet without removing or uploading the animals
> (k)  Leave animalia to their own devices

(j),(k) are both the same scenarios.