[extropy-chat] Angel Snot was Near Death Experiences: a scientific approach

Tom's name Here the_spoon_maker at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 09:24:24 UTC 2004

The Avantguardian <mailto:avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
"Now I am not certain that this MacDougal's results are accurate but I do
suggest that people on this list do not completely dismiss the empirical
pursuit of the soul as it were as a complete joke. I for one would like to
see some modern experiments along those lines with a larger sample size."

I agree, no theory should be discarded simply because it deals with
nonscientific topics. However, no theory should be seriously considered (or
experimented on) if it cannot pass a simple logic test:

According to this hypothesis of soul weight, the soul leaves the body when
the person dies. So when does the person die? This may seem like a stupid
question, but while the line between consciousness and unconsciousness is
clear, the line between life and death is hazy, although still undoubtedly
there.

There is not specific time or point of death. Death is more a transition, a
gradient gray area. As a person dies, his brain cells starve for oxygen and
die off one by one; they do not die in one orchestrated, Hollywood-friendly
moment.

Since there is not a specific point death occurs, there cannot be a specific
point at which the soul escapes.