[extropy-chat] european imports

BillK bill at wkidston.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 13:00:41 UTC 2004

On Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:11 am Spike wrote:
> I know a lot of Europeans hang out on extropians.
> Do offer me advice on this, offlist is fine, altho
> many here might be interested in your answer.
>
> I am looking at a new car and I like the BMWs and
> Volvos, but they cost about half again as much
> as a comparable 'murican car.

The car industry wants you to treat your car as a fashion item.
Don't do it! This will be expensive if you go along with them.

To help you choose, you need
<http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/78388/page001.html>

True cost to own (including running costs and depreciation)
<http://www.edmunds.com/apps/cto/intro.do>

Basics:
Don't buy a new car. The first year depreciation is about 25%, so on a
$44000 car you save about $11000 by buying a one year old model.

The devaluing dollar makes all imports expensive at present.
Are you a traitor? - buy American ;)

In UK, BMWs are bought by people who want to show off their wealth,
e.g. yuppies and drug dealers.

Volvos have a staid, reliable, well-off old-folks image.

The edmunds site above is packed full of useful data on everything to do
with cars. Have a good look round there.

BillK